U.S. Marshal Shot in Glasgow Village, Suspect Stands off with Police

A U.S. marshal was shot in the chest while trying to serve a search warrant on February 26, 2018 in the north St. Louis County municipality of Glasgow Village. The officer survived thanks to his bulletproof vest and is in hospital for observation. The suspected gunman, meanwhile, barricaded himself inside his home.

The incident unfolded around 9:30 a.m. on February 26 when officers attempted to serve a warrant to a man at a home in the 10300 block of Durness Drive. The suspect had failed to show up for sentencing in a domestic assault case. The U.S. marshals had also planned to arrest the man for first-degree assault.

Standoff Follows U.S. Marshal’s Shooting

The suspect was in his front yard and allegedly opened fire on the officers when they exited their vehicles. The U.S. marshals returned fire and hit the man.

The suspect then barricaded himself in the house. Police engaged in a tense standoff with their weapons drawn and pointed at the home.

St. Louis County Police Department officers advised those in the area to avoid Durness and Banavie Drives because of the standoff. A SWAT team was called in and the standoff ended at around 12:30 p.m. The area is still blocked off as of this writing.

Authorities have not yet disclosed the suspect’s condition or whether he’s been taken into custody.

The downed officer was alert and talking while being transported to a local hospital. No other details about the officer’s condition have been released.

Patrick James, a spokesperson for the U.S. Marshals Service, commented, “We’re very, very lucky today.”

A woman by the name of Jennifer Watson said the suspect is her brother, William Watson Jr., 40. She also said that her two-year-old niece may have been in the home.

When she showed up at the scene, Ms. Watson said police wouldn’t let her talk to her brother.

This is not the first run-in William Watson has had with police. In 1997, he was convicted of unlawful use of a weapon in St. Louis.