One U.S. Marshal Dead, Three Officers Injured in Gun Battle in Pennsylvania

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania is in a state of shock as the serving of a warrant turned deadly for one U.S. marshal in the early hours of January 18, 2018. Three other law enforcement officers were injured.

The Situation

Around 6:00 a.m., a group of law enforcement officials descended upon the area of South 18th and Mulberry streets to serve an arrest warrant for Shayla Lynette Towles Pierce. At about 6:10 a.m., the officers were fired upon by a male suspect.

The U.S. marshals task force returned fire. During the short gunfight, four officers were shot.

One Dead, Three Wounded

Three of the officers, one of whom is with the York Police Department, were wounded. They were taken to hospital to receive treatment for non-life-threatening injuries.

The police chief in Harrisburg told a TV reporter that the officers are “OK.”

Unfortunately, the same could not be said for a fourth officer. Deputy U.S. Marshal Christopher David Hill was shot and later pronounced dead. Hill was 45 years old.

Harrisburg Mayor Eric Papenfuse said in a statement: “No words can adequately express the sadness we feel at this moment as we contemplate the loss of yet another law enforcement officer in the line of duty. I extend my sincerest condolences to the family of the slain U.S. marshal, to his colleagues, and to all law enforcement officers who risk their lives each day to protect and to serve our city and our nation.”

The Shooter

Authorities revealed that the person who had opened fire on the officers was critically injured during the gun battle and subsequently died. Pierce has been arrested. As a result, there is currently no threat to the general public.

Is This Connected to a December Shooting?

Harrisburg residents are wondering if there is any connection between this incident and the violence caused by Ahmed Aminamin El-Mofty.

On December 22, 2017, El-Mofty fired at police near the location of the subsequent January 18 encounter. He died in a gunfight with Harrisburg police.

Officials have made no connection between the two incidents.