3 Women, Suspected Gunman Lance Smith Dead after 14-Hour Standoff

After 14 hours, a standoff in Detroit ended on February 12, 2018 with three women and the suspected gunman dead and three police officers injured. The events that began the previous night ended only after the suspect, Lance Smith, committed suicide.

A standoff in Detroit finally ended after 14 hours on February 12, 2018. Three female victims and the suspected gunman, Lance Smith, are dead and three police officers are injured.

Smith, 49, is believed to have killed his live-in girlfriend, Cynthia Williams, as well as Williams’ mother Barbara and aunt Patricia.

Police say the fatal standoff began with a domestic argument between Smith and Williams, during which Smith grabbed a gun. When Williams called her mother for help, Barbara and Patricia, who both lived nearby, came over to the home on Lamont Street.

Bernard Hart, a family friend, said, “They just wanted to see what was going on.”

An investigation has revealed that Smith killed Williams first, followed by her mother and aunt, who were slain outside the home.

Lance Smith vs. Detroit Police

The standoff began when Patricia’s husband, an off-duty Detroit Public Schools police officer, called 911. Police received a call around 10:30 p.m. on February 11 about shots fired at the residence.

According to Detroit police Chief James Craig, responding officers were shot at and “pinned down for almost an hour.” He said Smith was belligerent and wanted to inflict harm.

“The suspect was heard saying, ‘I will not be taken without a fight,'” Craig said. “He clearly expressed an intention to do harm; he clearly expressed intention to hurt police officers.”

Patricia’s husband and two Detroit police officers were shot in the leg. They are expected to be fine.

Craig said police last spoke to the suspect around 2:30 a.m. on February 12. Thereafter, a robot was used by police to gain entry into the home.

Lance Smith was found inside the house, dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Williams was also found dead inside.

Neighbors and law enforcement said when it came to Smith, there were no easily discernible warning signs or red flags. He had no criminal history, nor did he have any other contact with police before the shooting. Neighbors said Smith was never violent, and claim that he and Williams got along well.