Robel Phillipos, Friend of Boston Marathon Bomber, Released from Prison

Robel Phillipos, a college friend of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was released from prison on Monday, February 26 after serving just two years for lying to investigators. Phillipos was released from a residential re-entry management program.

Robel Phillipos is the second of three college friends of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to be released from prison. Phillipos was released from a residential re-entry management program on Monday, February 26 after serving just two years.

In 2015, Phillipos, 24, was convicted of lying to authorities investigating the 2013 terrorist bombing that killed three and injured more than 260 near the Boston Marathon finish line.

Just last year, Phillipos’ lawyers tried to have his conviction overturned, arguing that FBI investigators had coerced his statements.

A federal appeals court rejected his plea and, in January, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to take the case.

Phillipos must still serve three years of probation.

The Cambridge resident had an enviable list of character witnesses backing up his good character, including former Gov. Michael S. Dukakis, his wife Kitty (who worked with Phillipos’ mother), and Genet Bekele, a licensed social worker, who called him a “a fine young man” who “could have a great future in public service.”

Azamat Tazhayakov, 24, another friend and classmate from University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, was released in 2016. Tazhayakov was given 3.5 years for obstruction of justice charges, but was released early for time served.

Dias Kadyrbayev, 24, the third college friend of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev convicted in connection to the case, is expected to be freed from a low security correctional institution in Texas on July 23.

Kadyrbayev pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice and aiding and abetting by disposing of evidence after he, Tazhayakov, and Phillipos cleaned Tsarnaev’s UMass dorm room on April 18, 2013.

The Boston Bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 24, has been on death row at the Supermax facility in Colorado for three years.