Michael Hand Arrested in 1986 Tracy Gilpin Murder Case After 31 Years

Finally, a 31-year-old investigation has led to the arrest of a man, Michael Hand who reportedly murdered 15-year-old Tracy Gilpin in 1986. Given below are the details of the case.

After 31 years of intensive investigation and questioning, Massachusetts State Troopers and Troutman police arrested 61-year-old Michael Hand on the murder charges of Tracy Gilpin.

October 1, 1986, was the last time anybody ever saw 15-year-old Tracy Gilpin. She was last seen in Kingston. Her family reported her missing when she didn’t turn up home after attending a party in Kingston.

Reportedly, Gilpin left the party with her friends, who went to their houses. Gilpin stopped on the way to purchase cigarettes, a lady even offered her a ride, but Gilpin declined the offer by saying that she was going to walk.

After 21 days of searching, Gilpin’s body was discovered in Myles Standish State Forest in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Authorities reveal that her skull was broken and there was a huge boulder on her head. Gilpin’s shoes and pants were not there and her mother was able to identify her with the help of her jewelry. At the time of her murder, Hand just lived on Brookdale Street, five miles away from Gilpin.

On Friday, Michael Hand was taken into custody at his home in Troutman. At the time of Gilpin’s murder, Hand’s age must have been 29. On Monday, Hand will appear in front of the judge in court in North Carolina. Reportedly, Hand will be sent to Massachusetts, where he will be charged with murder.

Kerry Gilpin, who is late Tracy Gilpin’s sister is the superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police. According to sources, Kerry decided to join law enforcement after her sister, Tracy was found murdered.

After the arrest, Kerry Gilpin released a statement, which read, “We are also extremely grateful to the members of the public who have provided information to investigators. For the past three decades, we have remained hopeful that Tracy’s murderer would be identified.”

As of now, it is unclear, how authorities were able to determine that Hand is Gilpin’s murderer. In 2017, Gilpin’s family increased the reward for giving information about Gilpin’s murderer. The reward was increased from $10,000 to $25,000.

The authorities never stopped investigating Gilpin’s slaying. As of now, Hand is is in the custody of Iredell County Sheriff’s Office located in North Carolina.

His neighbors who live on Klutz Street in Troutman revealed that Hand lived on his own in a house that boasts a large collection of guns.