Mafia Boss Man Salvatore “Toto” Riina, Who Murdered More Than 150 People, Dies at 87

Serving 26 life sentences for murder, kidnapping, and terror attacks, Salvatore “Toto” Riina was known for his brutality through the ’60s, ’70s, and ’80s. He battled with cancer but lost the fight on November 17, 2017 in a detention unit in Parma, Italy. Find out more about the “boss of bosses” below.

Salvatore Riina was a well-known Mafia boss who caused the deaths of more than 150 people, including judges Paolo Borsellino and Giovanni Falcone in separate bomb blasts in 1992. The justice system finally put Riina behind bars in 1993. How did Salvatore Riina die? Read on to know everything about Salvatore Riina’s death right here.

What Was Toto Riina Convicted For?

The notorious Mafia leader Riina is said to have first murdered someone when he was 19. Riina came from a very poor background and while looking to make money, he joined a local Mafia gang. He took orders from them, murdering people on their behalf.

In the early ’60s, there was a widespread scare of Mafia gangs and members, and Riina took advantage of the situation. He began associating with high-profile men and dangerous groups, including smugglers and drug dealers. Riina orchestrated many murders through the late ’70s and was known for killing off high-profile people like judges and police officers.

Politicians bribed the mob boss to protect themselves, and Riina became stronger than ever. Throughout his life as a Mafia boss, he eluded authorities and continued killing and kidnapping.

You’d think that after his 1993 capture, Riina’s reign of terror would end. But that wasn’t the case. When he heard that a mafioso was about to spill secrets to officials in 1996, he ordered the murder of the informant’s 13-year-old son. The boy was kidnapped and mistreated for 779 days, after which he was killed and dissolved in acid.

How Did Salvatore Riina Die?

Riina had become a frail old man with Parkinson’s disease, a heart condition, and kidney cancer. When he was hospitalized in Parma, he was in a medically induced coma. Only his family was permitted to see him. He breathed his last in the early hours of November 17, 2017, just one day after he celebrated his 87th birthday.