Indiana High School Shooting Threat: Police Investigation Determines It Was a Prank

On Sunday, school authorities and the Porter County Sheriff’s office swung into action after discovering a threat made via social media, in which a juvenile threatened to carry out a mass shooting at Chesterton High School on Monday, March 5. After an investigation, police have determined that the threat was not credible.

A juvenile allegedly hacked into a male Chesterton High School student’s Facebook account and posted a status indicating that he was “planning on going to shoot up the school High school. [sic]” The minor posing as a Chesterton High School student threatened to carry out the shooting on Monday, March 5, 2018, in Porter County, Indiana.

Authorities and Police Swing into Action

Officers with the Porter County Sheriff’s office and Duneland School Corporation learned about the threat and began investigating around 6:14 p.m. on Sunday, March 4, 2018. Police believe that the juvenile who posted the threat and the boy whose account was used shared a cell phone at one time.

Threat Is Not Credible

After an initial investigation, the police determined that the threat is not credible. The juvenile suspected of making this threat has been taken to a hospital for an evaluation. It is unclear at this time whether the suspect is also a student of Chesterton High School.

The police are working with Facebook and extracting cell phone records as their investigation is ongoing. Officials said that parents of all the students involved in this case are cooperating with the investigation.

School Taking Extra Precautions

School authorities are taking extra precautions to safeguard students in the aftermath of the fake threat. There will be an increased police presence at the school from Monday, and parents have been informed of the incident through a call from the Duneland School Corporation.

Shooting Threats Continue Unabated

The names of the suspect and other students involved in this investigation have not been released by police because they are still minors. Police informed the public through Facebook that no charges are pending against these juveniles at this time. They thanked the community and students who spoke up for helping the police with this case.