A three-year-old boy was fatally wounded during a shooting in Compton, Los Angeles on January 20, 2018. In the aftermath of this Compton shooting, community leaders are railing against the kind of gang-related violence that killed the child.
Around 7:45 p.m. on January 20, 2018, a Compton shooting followed a gang-related argument between two men in the parking lot of a liquor store.
One of the men tried to flee by getting into a vehicle that was being driven by his girlfriend. The other man fired shots at the departing vehicle as it drove away.
3-Year-Old an Unintended Victim of Compton Shooting
Unbeknownst to the man who was firing the shots, there was a three-year-old boy in the backseat of the vehicle. He was hit by one of the bullets. The couple in the car were initially unaware that the boy had been shot.
At this point, it is unclear if they are the boy’s parents.
After fleeing the argument, they drove to a Mexican restaurant named the Lucky Star Cafe that was about a mile and a half away. An employee at the eatery, Maria Ortega, saw the pair as they drove into the restaurant’s parking lot.
“We were working here last night when we saw a car driving in,” Ortega said. “The guy came out with a kid…and the kid (had) blood all over his body.”
Ortega said the man was carrying the child and asking for help. The woman who was with him was crying out for somebody to help the child.
A customer at the eatery called 911 and deputies soon arrived. The boy was taken to the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in a sheriff’s patrol vehicle. He was eventually pronounced dead at the hospital.
Panic at the Restaurant
There was panic at the Lucky Star Cafe because customers were unaware of where and when the child had been shot. They thought the gunman behind the Compton shooting was at the eatery. The restaurant immediately locked all its doors.
According to officials, deputies have identified a suspect and are communicating with his family and attorney to facilitate an arrest. The man has not been named by the authorities.
Patience Wearing Thin with Ongoing Violence
On January 21, a press conference was held at the site of this latest Compton shooting. Community leaders spoke out strongly against gang activity in the neighborhood.
Bishop L.J. Guillory said, “I’m so pissed off. I’ve got to put the political correctness down. This is not the first time we’ve been here, and I’m tired of the gang-banging.”