Baleigh Bagshaw: Brutally Attacked to Death While on the Phone

In Salt Lake City, 15-year-old Baleigh Bagshaw suffered a deadly attack while on the phone with her mother. Now, her mother is speaking out on what happened during the call, as a suspect has been captured.

Her Mother Heard Part of the Attack

Shawna Bagshaw said her daughter, 15-year-old Baleigh Bagshaw, would often call her after getting off the bus and arriving home from school. It was routine that Baleigh would let her mother know she got home okay, after she would let the dogs out and pick up the mail.

On the afternoon of Monday, May 7, the call began the same way as it always did. Baleigh spoke about something that came in the mail, when the call went from average to terrifying.

Shawna Bagshaw told Fox 13, “She had said OK, such and such a thing came in the mail, whatever, and then all of a sudden she started screaming and she didn’t say anything. She was just screaming; my dogs were barking, and then I heard nothing.”

When the phone went dead, Bagshaw quickly called a number of neighbors to check in and see what happened to her daughter. One neighbor entered the back door of the home, and was shocked to discover blood. She quickly called 911, but by then it was too late.

Suspect on the Run

By the time police arrived, Baleigh was dead; the victim of a what has been described as a violent and brutal attack. Police went to work trying to figure out what happened, and who was responsible. Investigators quickly turned to 24-year-old Shaun Patrick French.

French previously stayed with the Bagshaw family from February 2017 to July 2017, along with an unnamed 21-year-old. The 21-year-old apparently witnessed a sexual encounter between Baleigh and French during that period. At the time, Baleigh was 14 years old, and French was 23. Because of this, there was an open warrant for Franch’s arrest on three counts of unlawful sexual encounters with a minor.

Shawna Bagshaw also alleged that French harassed her daughter, and may have even threatened her life. French became the number one suspect. Unfortunately, he had already fled.

Shaun French’s Capture and What Comes Next

French was picked up by authorities in Otero County, Colorado on the outstanding warrant on May 9. His return to Utah may be delayed, as he requested that a Utah lawyer handle his extradition back to Salt Lake City.

Currently, he is a person of interest in Baleigh Bagshaw’s murder, but no official charges have been laid. In the meantime, Baleigh’s friends and family began the process of coming to terms with what happened. A GoFundMe page was started to help the family with funeral costs. In two days, they exceeded their goal. But the personal toll felt by family members is still ongoing. One of Baleigh’s cousin’s tweeted the following:

Baileigh had dreams of serving in the United States Army or Military when she grew up. An animal lover, she also wanted to train service dogs, and she also had a passion for photography. Shawna Bagshaw said that she is outraged by what happened to her daughter. About suspect Shaun French she told the media, “Maybe years down the road I can forgive, but right now I can’t. He terrorized and harmed my child, and as far as I can say, I cannot forgive him for that.”