9 Facts About the Jassy Correia Case

Jassy Correia was allegedly kidnapped from a Boston bar Sunday, February 24, 2019. Four days later, the body of the 23-year-old mother was found in the trunk of Louis Coleman III’s car. The Rhode Island man is charged with kidnapping, failure to report a death, and mutilation of a dead body. Want to know more about this shocking case? Here are nine facts about Correia’s disappearance and the capture of Louis Coleman III.

Fact #1: Jassy Correia Was Last Seen on Sunday, February 24, 2019

Boston woman Jassy Correia went out with friends to celebrate her 23rd birthday on the night of Saturday, February 23. She was last seen in the early hours of Sunday at Venu, a nightclub in Boston’s Theatre District.

Correia is approximately 5’7” tall. She was wearing big hoop earrings, an orange jumpsuit, and a jean jacket. The young woman was seen getting into a red car with an unidentified man.


Fact #2: The Young Mother Turned 23 on February 26

Correia’s actual birthday was on February 26. She would have turned 23 that day.

Her cousin, Katia Depina, described Correia as an outgoing, carefree and friendly person who was close to her family.

Jassy Correia, with her two-year-old daughter; Photo: GoFundMe

At the time of her disappearance, she worked as a host at Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steakhouse in Boston’s Seaport district.

She has never gone missing before.  

Fact #3: Family Grew Concerned After Correia Failed to Pick Up Her Daughter

The family grew concerned when Jassy Correia didn’t show up Sunday to pick up her two-year-old daughter. She also wasn’t answering her phone.

Her brother Joel Correira said he still hadn’t heard from her on Monday. And her dad, Joaquin Correia, tried to contact Jassy on Tuesday, her 23rd birthday, but to no avail. This left her family fearing the worst.

“JC don’t answer the phone. I said no, it goes straight to voicemail. We tried to call call call,” said her father.

Joaquin said he was suspicious about how Jassy’s belongings allegedly ended up inside her condominium on the same night she disappeared.

“After you get JC’s shoes, JC bag, JC keys and JC balloons. And bring it to the house and put it inside the house. Something’s wrong,” he said.

It was her shoes that he questioned the most.

“If you take the shoes, you have to see where JC goes,” he said.

Her brother Joel said, “I’m 19 right now. In March I’ll be 20. So, I don’t have anyone to call sister anymore if I lose my sister.”

Fact #4: A Missing Persons Report Was Filed 3 Days Later

On Wednesday, February 27, Correia’s family filed a missing persons report. The Boston Police Department quickly posted missing persons information on their official Facebook page.

It didn’t take long for the Boston Police to track down some leads. And the primary suspect was quickly identified the following day as Louis D. Coleman III, 32.

Police released photos of the suspect and the vehicle, hoping the public would help track him down.

In addition to the video that showed Correia getting into a red car, Providence police also obtained surveillance video showing a person, who police believed was Coleman, carrying Correia into his condominium on Chestnut Street.

The video shows the man leaving the condominium with two suitcases. Correia was never seen leaving the condominium building.

Fact #5: Police Search Condo in Connection with Jassy Correia’s Death

Detectives searched Coleman’s condominium and the surrounding area around Chestnut Street for hours Thursday, in connection with Correia’s disappearance.

Providence Police Col. Hugh Clements said in a press conference on Thursday evening that Correia’s disappearance was being treated as a homicide investigation.

Col. Clements would not specify what they found inside Coleman’s condominium or what the surveillance footage showed, saying only that it was “very helpful.”

He added that Coleman was previously not known to police. Correia’s family also said they did not know him either.

Fact #6: Police Surround Coleman’s Car on the Highway After a Short Pursuit

At around 2 p.m. February 28, after a short pursuit, police swarmed Coleman’s red Buick Verano sedan on the side of Interstate 95 in Delaware. The arrest put to an end a two-day multi-state manhunt.

Boston police said that a body was discovered inside Coleman’s vehicle, but they could not yet confirm at that time that it was Correia’s body. They also said the manner of death was pending.

Fact #7: Coleman Faces Three Charges

Louis D. Coleman III, who works as a systems engineer for Raytheon, was arraigned in Delaware at midnight February 28, charged as a “fugitive from another state.” Coleman waived his right for an extradition hearing.

Louis Coleman; Photo:
Delaware Attorney General

He’s being held at the Howard Young Correctional Center in Wilmington, Delaware, but police from Rhode Island are expected to bring him back to Providence.

Coleman faces three charges in Rhode Island: kidnapping; refusal to report a death with intent to conceal a crime; and mutilation of a dead body.

Fact #8: Body Confirmed as That of Jassy Correia

After Coleman’s arrest, two Boston police detectives were seen entering the Correia’s family home in Dorchester. A short while later, her family confirmed that it was indeed Jassy Correia’s body that police had found in the trunk of Coleman’s car.

Jassy Correia; Photo: Boston Police Department

On Friday, March 1, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, Boston Police Commissioner William Gross, and Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins visited the family’s home.

“This young woman has a lot of ties here in Dorchester. She played sports growing up here. She has friends here,” Mayor Walsh said.

Katia Depina told the Boston Globe that Correia was “a strong mother, she was brave, she was strong. She did not deserve this. She went out to celebrate her birthday and never returned home. We want justice for her death.”

Fact #9: Correia Family Set up GoFundMe Page

The family of Jassy Correia set up a GoFundMe page to help with raising her two-year-old daughter. Within less than 24 hours, it raised close to $90,000, far surpassing the $50,000 goal.